Sunday, July 14, 2013

LOOK-ALIKES: ASOS CURVE Rainbow Maxi Dress

So this Sunday's Look-Alikes post is going to be a little different than ones of Toasted Crackerz past - but it's also one I am so stoked about it is a little ridiculous! Instead of focusing on a low-end item and a high-end item that look similar, I'm doing a....wait for it....movie look-alike! That's right folks, I'm showcasing a plus-size garment that strongly resembles a movie costume. That may sound like a bad thing (who wants to look like they walked off the set of Lord of the Rings, right?---um, me!), but trust me, when you see the below images you're gonna' like what you see. Below, you'll see the garment that started this whole thing:


ASOS CURVE Rainbow Maxi Dress With Necklace Trim, ASOS, $110.31

...Does this look familiar? Anybody, ringin' any bells? Well, if you are as much of a Star Wars fan as I am - well, really I'm just a fan of Padmé Amidala's wardrobe - you might have a leg up on the others. When I saw this dress I IMMEDIATELY was taken back to the first time I watched the scene when Padmé and Anakin Skywalker were at her summer house and you saw her wearing this gorgeous/amazing gown (called the Rainbow Lake Gown by fans). 

I think I can accurately declare that as the moment I really got into Costume Design. Not as a profession, mind you, just as an avid fan. Below you can see the movie image (sorry for the sucky quality - I could barely find any movie photos of the dress at all!):


Curtesy of Google Images

As you can see, the dress from the movie fades from yellow into more of a purple-ish pink whereas the ASOS Curve dress fades into blue, but I personally think the resemblance is uncanny. And while I would probably rock the dress from the movie, the ASOS dress is, of course, far more suited to the modern stylish curvy chick.

Below, you'll see a detail pic of the ASOS Curve dress's neckline, which is interesting in a similar way that the Padmé Amidala Rainbow Lake Gown is interesting:


 Images curtesy of Asos.com and Google Images (respectively)


I tried looking for an ultra-modern looking silver choker/bib necklace that I might put over the ASOS dress's neckline to make it look more like Padmé's, but I seriously could not find anything that was within budget AND silver. I'll keep my eyes peeled in the future, but for now I guess I'll have to settle for adding gold accessories, I guess. 

Also, if you check the link for the ASOS dress out, you'll see more pics where you'll notice the back of this dress is pretty darn low. So now I'm thinking I might have to get a strapless/convertible bra (luckily I work at a place where they sell plus-size undergarments, and I get an employee discount - YAY!). But since my arms are my least favorite...er...limbs on my body, I'd probably end up wearing this with a sweater or topper of some kind. But I'm thinking that would just weigh down and ruin the ethereal quality of this garment. I don't know. I'm going to have to do some serious outfit planning for this dress. But it is so, SO worth it. :D

Well, I think that's enough writing for today, see you in a bit, y'all!


(Follow my blog with Bloglovin here!)

1 comment:

  1. Still kicking myself for not buying this dress. Gorgeous, if you ever decide to sell I will totally buy it off you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis