Friday, May 10, 2013

DIY FRIDAY: Dolce & Gabbana Earrings

Toasted Crackerz: Plus-Size Fashion Blog

The inspiration for these earrings is the Dolce and Gabbana Summer 2013 runway shows (as seen on the left). I've been so into D&G ads lately. The feeling I get from them is so....it's hard to describe. Luxury, yet laid back like a vacation. I don't know, I just LOVE 'em. Anyway, I follow http://psimadethis.com/ and a few days ago they had this DIY project and I was immediately intrigued.

I had a pair of earrings I bought at Forever21 ages ago but never wore because they were so heavy. In the inspo pic, I saw the black filigree and tried looking for something similar but couldn't find anything. Then I realized I had the F21 pair which were close in shape and a brand-spankin' new can of matte black paint. It really couldn't have been more perfect! (A similar pair from ASOS can be found here) I wish I had taken a "before" picture so you guys could see the earrings before. They had pearl drops where the tassels are and the filigree was gold.

Anyway, I detached the pearls (which will be reused in a DIY project next week!) and spray painted those suckers. While I waited for them to dry, I began work on hand-tying all the tassels you see. I used the colors suggested on the PSIMadeThis website (goldenrod, yellow, navy blue, and red) but instead of using colored raffia (I was too lazy to go look for some at the craft store and too cheap to want to buy it, haha) I used sewing thread (for cross stitch). I folded the thread group in half through a jump ring and then tied a single string around the lot to make a very simple tassel (You might want to go to the PSIMadeThis link to better understand my lame instructions). Then I cut the individual strings into different lengths for some texture. As I was working with the thread it began to fray a bit, but I actually liked it so much I started fraying them all zealously myself. 

Last but not least, I used an ancient bottle of pearlized blue paint to paint the stud part of the earring to make it more authentic to my inspiration. All in all, the project took about an hour and a half - most of which was devoted to making the tassels. The earrings are still a bit heavy, but I have an idea to fix that.

I plan on wearing these this summer with a crop top and high waist skirt a la D&G ad girl in the coral ensemble below!

photo curtesy of www.designscene.net

(Follow my blog with Bloglovin here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis